Tuesday, August 31

DNSBL and other geekish things

So I decided to send an email to Notes/Domino Spam guru Chris Linfoot because of some stuff I've been seeing whereby DNSBL sites are being denied to users because of ISP policy to reduced overhead on DNS servers. Sounds like BS to me.
I have customers who use a tool that sends DNS requests to some blacklisting sites like spamhaus and spamcop. And for whatever reason, the connections are at best inconsistent and at worst non-existent. I have read that AT&T have a policy for their business network/hosting users that they will be denied access to the DNSBL sites unless the clients specifically request an exception, with the excuse being that their DNS servers are being overloaded. Well maybe they are, but wouldn't it be nice if they would step up to the plate and, I don't know, host a local version of the zone file published by the likes of spamhaus or spamcop so that they would be helping their clients control SPAM instead of causing them more hassle?
I'm not surprised that spamhaus set up shop in the UK, with the legal protection that it provides in terms of defence costs. If they were in the US, the spammers may well have shut them down by file suits against them constantly. Interestingly enough, they have failed in most cases in the US anyway.
I'll post an update/link to Chris' site if and when he responds :-)

No comments: